Terms and Conditions
NOTE: The following terms and conditions are subject to change at any time.
Computer Misuse Act:
You are reminded that breaches of the Computer Misuse Act may constitute a criminal offence. Breaches include hacking, copyright abuse, obtaining and using other peoples' passwords without authority and unauthorised modification of computer material.
- Data Connection means the data connection to the Internet provided and supported by the Hornet Service.
- Hornet Service means the data service provided by the University that offers a high speed data connection to the University network. The service offers access to internal and external resources including the internet and the University's services. You will receive a fully functioning University IP address and can access the same resources as available from the University controlled clusters on campus.
- Hornet Support Team means the nominated individuals at The University of Manchester who are responsible for providing the Hornet Services.
- Special conditions means any further conditions applicable to the use of one or more Data Connections by you, as notified to you in accordance with paragraph 5 below.
- To use the Data Connection and the Hornet Service only in accordance with these terms and to notify promptly the Hornet Support Team any breach of its terms in writing or of any infringements of the "Data Connection" or Hornet Service of which I become aware. Permission must always be sought in writing therefore before any normally prohibited services such as computer servers are setup, irrespective of whether or not this is for legitimate academic purposes.
- To use the services and facilities provided by the Hornet Service for the purposes of not-for-profit research or personal educational development. To obtain permission prior to using part or all of the "Data Connection" for Commercial Purposes by contacting the Hornet Support Team in order to obtain the appropriate permissions. Thus the operation of personal businesses and companies over the Data Connection provided by the Hornet Service is prohibited.
- You agree not to use the Hornet Service to gain unauthorised or illegal access to data. This includes downloading, emailing, distribution or redistribution of any material of a pornographic, offensive or illegal nature.
- That the Hornet Service and the "Data Connection" are provided on an "as is" basis and without warranty. No guarantee or warranty can be made that the Hornet Service will be uninterrupted, error free or virus free. Any representations or warranties given by any member of the Hornet Support Team relating to the Hornet Service, express or implied are excluded to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- To abide by any "Special Conditions" notified to me from time to time by the Hornet Support Team that may apply to the access to, or use of, the "Data Connection". Notice of further conditions under this paragraph may be given to me by electronic means, for example, by way of emails.
- To access the "Data Connection", in whole or in part, only in my personal capacity and not to allow others to access the Data Connection.
- To ensure that the means of access to the Data Connection and personnel equipment (such as passwords) are kept secure and are not disclosed to third parties.
- To preserve at all times the confidentiality of information relating to the Hornet Service where the information is not in the public domain.
- That the members of the Hornet Support Team may hold and process any personal data submitted by you for validation and statistical purposes, and for the purposes of the management of the Hornet Service or for any other lawful purpose notified to you and they may also pass the information on to other members of the Hornet Support Team and the University in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- To notify the Hornet Support Team of any errors discovered with the Data Connection and/or the Hornet Service via the Hornet support portal.
- That any personal data submitted is accurate to the best of my knowledge, and that any changes in that personal data, including my educational status, will be made known to the Hornet Support Team at the earliest possible opportunity.
- To meet any charges that may from time to time be levied by any member of the Hornet Support Team for the supply of the Data Connections and/or the Hornet Service including, where relevant, annual service fees and reconnection fees.
- You agree to pay all accommodation fees in accordance with your accommodation agreement with the University. Failure to pay your accommodation fees under your accommodation agreement will result in the University withdrawing provision of the Hornet Service to you until all outstanding fees are paid in full.
- You must not allow any other user to access your Data Connection (using any wired or wireless method) any breach of the agreed terms and conditions and associated penalties resulting from this will be your responsibility.
- In halls that do not have University provided Wireless you are only allowed to connect wireless enabled devices to your Data Connection through the use of a wireless software hotspot which must be secured with at least WPA2 encryption. No hardware dedicated to sharing your data connection (for example by connecting a cabled or wireless hub, switch or router or a modem to a networked PC) is permitted to be used on your Data Connection.
- In areas where The University of Manchester has made wireless access available you will be required to disable any wireless software hotspot setup on your computer. Failure to do so may result in action being taken by the Hornet Support Team or the University of Manchester.
- I agree to abide by The University of Manchester code of practice (Regulation XVII – Conduct and Discipline of Students) and the JANET Acceptable Use Policy with regard to the use of computers and the academic network.
- I understand that the use of Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software applications on the University's Hornet Network which are used for the download or sharing of copyrighted material for which you do not hold the copyright could result in legal action being taken against me from the rightful Copyright Holders.
- Furthermore, I agree to comply with the University's policy on the use of P2P software.
I understand that I am bound by the following conditions while using the Hornet Service
- I understand that breach of any of the provisions of these terms will lead to immediate termination of my access to the Hornet Service either permanently or temporarily, at the discretion of a member of the Hornet Support Team and may result in legal action being taken against me. I understand that where there is no breach of these terms, my access may be terminated, or its terms altered, by a member of the Hornet Support Team after 30 days notice has been given to me of the termination or alteration.
- The University oversees and monitors the usage of the Hornet Service and the University's network facilities as a whole. Under exceptional circumstances the University is authorised to inspect any items of computer equipment on site (including the data & services running on them). In such cases you will be required to cooperate with the inspection.
- (i) Viruses: £35 administration fee for reconnection after the third virus disconnection. No disconnection period is defined as users can seek reconnection once the virus threat is removed but further infection will result in further disconnections.
- (ii) General Abuse: £50 reconnection fee to be paid after a 7 day disconnection period.
- (iii) Copyright Abuse: £70 reconnection fee to be paid after a 14 day disconnection period.
- (iv) Wireless Abuse: £70 reconnection fee to be paid after a 14 day disconnection period.
- (v) Network Abuse: £100 reconnection fee to be paid after a 14 day disconnection period.
To the extent that applicable law permits:
- The members of the Hornet Support Team bear no legal responsibility for the accuracy or comprehensiveness of the Hornet Service.
- The members of the Hornet Support Team accept no liability for, and you will not be entitled to claim against the University or any member of the Hornet Support Team in respect of any direct, indirect, consequential or incidental damages or losses arising from use of the Data Connections, the unavailability of the Hornet Service, or loss of data and/or damage whilst a Hornet representative is carrying out their duties with regards to support calls on the users' behalf.
- The Hornet Support Team and the University shall not incur any liability to you for delay in provision of the Hornet Service as a result of an event which is beyond the reasonable control of the Hornet Support Team and/or the University which shall include such things as illness of staff, Force majeure, civil disturbance, student sit ins, strikes or other industrial action, war or governmental advice.